Monday, September 27, 2004

Meaningless, meaningless...

I have just returned from paying homage to the god of materialism. After parting with my sacrifice of $42, I was blessed with 24 spagetti flouro bangles, black capri pants and a mini black ra-ra skirt. Together with my red sequined thongs and my hot pink eighties top, they make a complete outfit. Last night in my insomnia I constructed this outfit. Of course when it's actualized in the change rooms, it's never quite the same. It's a little out there - but I think it's up to me to push the fashion boundaries. Talking of which - I saw pink gumboots in Jay Jay's!

Okay, all you guys reading my blog can zone back in now. ;-) The other day when I was sifting through the mass of clean laundry on my sofa I thought "I'm almost near the end of my degree. While I feel a tiny bit more educated, I don't feel I've aquired more knowledge and I certainly don't feel equiped for the "real world"." Maybe the feeling would be different if I was doing a different discipline - you see, philosophers cover the paths others make, only the linger of the subtlties - important subtlties, nevertheless. But maybe all knowledge and disciplines are ultimatly reductionistic - and at the end of it all when you have your 3 phds and have written 10,000 articles every bit of knowledge just seems trivial...

Maybe that's a bit dramatic. What do my dear readers think?

6 Comments:

At 6:34 PM, Blogger Bron said...

this is the real world

 
At 9:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Journalism is seeming more and more practical everytime I go to uni. It's like, it's actually not that hard to get into the media in Tasmania. You just have to be prepared to do it on a volunteer basis until you can get a real job. And to think that it was a choice between English and Journalism! I've learnt so many more skills than I would have writing English, and I'm probably a better writer than I would have been otherwise too. Win/win situation (except for the English department, who missed out on my mad wr1t3rz sk1LLz).

Wow, you actually thought of an outfit before you bought it? You didn't just wander into the shop and buy what looked coolest/was the cheapest? That's efficient.

Angus

 
At 9:44 PM, Blogger dan said...

Grr. Bron put it better than I could.

Thing is, one probably only feels marginally more confident about life after uni with a vocation-based degree. For instance, I know about as many qualified engineers working somewhere completely different as I know qualified engineers actually in engineering jobs. The pessimist in me says "why not give up now". The optimist says "hey, they've all got jobs haven't they". Finding myself in a room full of "electronics-engineers-who-don't" at Fearless Media isn't such a joke. Very little of the fine details of my degree are going to stick; It's all about principles and methodologies. If anything, I'm simply aware of how stuff works, and am able to look up the details when I need to. Plus I have the dubious luxury of finishing my degree in a part-time way... if I don't also work part-time, I'll feel like a lazy slacker.

Okay, everyone reading my comment can zone back in now. ;)

In conclusion, I still like cake. It's fantastic. I'm also pretty keen on these w00t little chewey ginger things that burn your throat... Uni will be a time on which to look back fondly. But given how sick I'm getting of it, I'm not sure that I'll miss it so much.

(I probably write more elsewhere than in my own blog these days...)

 
At 10:00 PM, Blogger The Borg said...

Hugo and Bron: hence the ""'s. :)

 
At 6:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

he he he he he...

 
At 6:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, you know how I feel, I went straight back to uni...( well, I tried :) )

Seriously I feel a little more equipped for the world and I like looking at the world more than I did before my degreee. However I often forget that I've done a degree and find myself saying "I've only got a B.A"

I'm more confident in my thinking skills and I've gained a very analytic way of doing the shopping etc...( I also bought some jeans I had an extremely specific picture of today, the outfit is yet to be completed.

Anyway, blah blah, there's more to life than feeling prepared for it.... I feel so insecure most of the time that I'm almost used to it, at least I'm always ready to learn new things due to my feelings of inadequacy.
Aims

 

Post a Comment

<< Home