Saturday, September 11, 2004

Dreams/Fears/Social Norms

Blogspot is fat. A couple of days ago I did an insightful awesome post about the pool and swimming and finishing an essay and other crap and stupid blogspot ate it. This how long it's taken me to recover. ;-)

Anyhow, I've been having wierd dreams. The night before last there was a tsaunami and a kissing competition. I wasn't involved, I was watching... The guy was about to get disqualified because he was too camp, but then the couple's skin started to burst at the seams. Last night I had an ace soft-top olde two-seater car . It was sooo cool. I was driving to work and Maz/Rita hailed me for a lift from Meredith's Fruit Stand. As I was putting Rita's luggage in the boot (she had a baby too), this cyclist guy from one of my classes wanted a lift too. "Where should I put your bike?" I asked, "Can you just hold it?" Only as I was waking up did I realise the bad seat to person ratio I would have created. I suppose the cyclist guy could have sat on Rita's lap, with the bike and the baby...

I'm twenty one years old and I have this pseudo-fear that when I stand facing my bed as I'm putting on my pj's some hands will reach out from under my bed and grab my ankles and drag me under. At this similar time of night I'm also a little bit afraid of my reflection (yeah, I know, ha ha), that it will emerge from mirror-land and do something heinous to me. All this has given me fodder for a horror flick. :-)

I was going to go on a bike ride with Dan and Dave today... but Dave wanted to sleep in, Dan rang me on my mobile when I was still driving my ace soft-top olde two-seater car and he said "Maybe I'll go back to bed too." One wonders how anything gets done, how the infrastructure is sustained, how the milk gets delivered... In my semi-sleep state I said to Dan "Thanks for calling me" or something like that and he said "Bye." I didn't mean that to be a conversation terminating phrase, but he must be socialized to interpret it like that (or he just didn't want to talk to me anymore ;-)). But then, upon reflection, I realised that I often interpret it like that...

I have bucket loads of work to do and my hair is all greasy so that I look like Franka Potente.

6 Comments:

At 11:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I have this pseudo-fear that when I stand facing my bed as I'm putting on my pj's some hands will reach out from under my bed and grab my ankles and drag me under."

I have/had this fear too. Maybe it has something to do with the vulnerability of my naked ankles, and how easily a gnarled hand coould grab them. I used to leap onto my bed from about a metre away. Didn't help that I used to keep heaps of stuff under my bed, so I couldn't tell if anything was under there or not. Now there's nothing under there, so I don't worry about it much anymore. I'm also 20, so that has something to do with it.

Angus

 
At 9:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, I totally posted something right there. Not happy, Blogger.

Angus

 
At 9:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What?! I post something, and THEN my other post turns up. Blogger = 5uckz0rz

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger dan said...

(You missed out the part where your mum would be needing the car so you probably couldn't get down to Hobart anyway.)

I'm probably more socialised to feel bad that I've just woken somebody up, making a short call seem appropriate.

And I was a bit surprised by you sounding so sleepy and yet answering on the first ring. Do you sleep with your phone in one hand? I suppose it'd be useful if you need to call somebody in a hurry to say there's an ankle-grabber under the bed. Like Bec and her land-sharks. I'm kinda worried that one day budgie will figure out how to open her cage and murder me in my sleep. That bird gives me the creeps.

Fear of things relating to sleep makes for great horror films, especially when the audience tries to go to sleep that night. Like being too afraid to sleep because you'll have nightmares, so you start going mad from lack of sleep... interestingly, being unable to sleep would kill you faster than being unable to eat.

 
At 7:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I could remember my dreams as well as you.

I ahd a really weird dream this afternoon, some girl was doing something and then she decided to find someone to help her and ended up doing something completely contradictory.....see what I mean???

I went swimming today at the Clarence Pool Very very ancient man doing backstroke so slow I was surprised he could even stay afloat.

It's even better when the plump ladies ( mostly in their 40's and 50's) are doing water aerobics with their water noodles....
Love aims

 
At 7:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ever since watching "the Ring" I'm scared wehn I wake up at night. For no apparent reason, might also to be that if I check the time on my mobile the room gets lit up with an eerie blue light....

Amy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home