Sunday, June 12, 2005

System Overload

I don’t like running in populated areas. I’m paranoid that people I pass are thinking “you’d think she’d be thinner with all that running” or “what an un-co!” While I don’t think I’m fat or uncoordinated, I hate being an object of people’s judgement or entertainment for even a few seconds. People should not be objectified unwillingly. You might object that, say, a stand-up comedian is objectified in a similar way. However, performers become objects voluntarily, ergo, a stand-up comedian may be objectified, without me being wrong. You might object that I do, willingly, allow myself to become an object by running when I know people will look at me, so I am a counterexample to my own claim.

My reply to that is a revaluation and transformation of my claim “People should not be objectified unwillingly” to the stronger “People should not be made objects of even when they do so willingly and even when other aspects of the person are held in the background but still appreciated.” This is fairly controversial, because it means we should reconsider the way we view performers, or even when a friend speaks to us. So do we really fully appreciate and honour the person when we listen or are just treating her as an amusing talking-box that stimulates us because we can’t predict her response? I suspect we objectify even our nearest and dearest all the time.

At least two people think that Napoleon Dynamite has no plot. However, I regard a “plot” (in the narrow sense) as a predictable, redundant, hackneyed, manufactured literary convention, contrived by the dominant imperialist, patriarchal, Eurocentric, parochial ideology.

Please, no labels. (We know what happens when that happens)

Seriously, though, there are plenty of popular or acclaimed texts that don’t adhere to the narrow sense of “plot”. Girl With A Pearl Earring is one and most of Ian McEwan’s novels don’t have “plots”. Well, they do have plots (broad sense). GWAPE’s plot runs thusly: poor, pretty girl gets work at Vermeer’s house. She likes to paint and admires, but is afraid of Vermeer. Butcher’s boy fancies her. The house of Vermeer is trapped in the web of the commissioner, in the same way that the girl is powerless and vulnerable to Vermeer and the household. Vermeer has girl to be his assistant and there is sizzling sexual tension. Vermeer’s wife is jealous. Other stuff happens.

Sure, it doesn’t follow the convention of saftey-predicament-climax-denoument with the conventional pacing, but it still contains sub climaxes and effectively demonstrates important themes. After all, isn’t that is what a story is supposed to do? Furthermore, it may be the case that the “plot” is hidden in the plot, to be identified by the more astute viewer.

You might argue that without a “plot” (narrow sense) a story is uninteresting. However, if a movie has to rely on a plot to keep the audience interested, I think it fails. Or maybe it’s just that I love visually rich movies and value themes over “plot”.

Grrr. I have too much in my system. I think I need to go write a book. In fact, I already do have one planned to write this summer, title too telling to be released yet. I also wish to write a short story called “Grigor Watt’s Interlocker” which will be about philosophy.

Later on today, Von and I will, God willing, check out Tracey’s flat. Then I’ll go to Scots. I hope Ben Pharlet is speaking. He is like a theologically orthodox Michael Frost who doesn’t retell his stories. [Whom have I damned with faint praise and praised with faint damnation?]

My favourite song at the moment is from Nick Cave's Lyre of Orpheus Album, track 2. The song is so good I want to eat it.

Today’s wacky question is: If you were a member of the opposite sex, would you be good looking, given how you look now?

11 Comments:

At 2:25 PM, Blogger Emi said...

A while ago, there was a bit of controversy in the media about women sunbathing topless and having their photos taken by people with mobile phones, without their consent. To my surprise, a lot of people claimed the women were asking for it, because they were nude in a public place. While these women chose to be on display, it wasn't necissarily for the *purpase* of being on display - same with jogging. But there does seem to be a dominant attitude that it's ok to objectify people, particularly women.

Answer to today's question - I wouldnt be attractive as a male, I'm too short and I don't have any muscles :(

 
At 4:35 PM, Blogger Angus said...

Answer to today's question - I have too much facial hair to be a woman, and I'm 5'11", which would be tall for a girl. Would I be attractive? I guess I'd like to think so. My sisters are very pretty, so I guess genes might help me out there. Without all the excess hair, I reckon I'd make a good show of it. I'm too thin already, so I wouldn't even need to diet or exercise that much ;)

 
At 5:07 PM, Blogger Craig Schwarze said...

People should not be objectified unwillingly

What do you mean by "objectified"?

 
At 7:59 PM, Blogger Angus said...

Awww, I'm a big fan of monkeys - they're awesome! In fact, everything can be made more awesome with the addition of monkeys and ninjas. It's true! Try it! Star Wars + monkeys = way better. Surgery + ninjas = way cooler. Star Wars + monkeys + ninjas = SO MUCH AWESOME IT'S TOO MUCH!!!

However, female monkeys? Awesome. Female monkeys in that way (and I think you know what I'm talking about and if you don't than that's cool and you should be safe in the knowledge you're not missing out on anything important)? Blergh.

 
At 8:14 AM, Blogger The Librarian said...

There you go, Aaron, gus would date you! ;)

I think I'd look okay. My brother is gorgeous ( even though he doesn't think so). I'm pretty tall (only 5 '7 but then I could date short beautiful girls like emi) and fairly broad shouldered, plus when I used to bother going to the gym I muscled up pretty easily ( which is why I stoppped). I could stop running and do push-ups..

Then again, it depends on what would change about me if I became male. Would my jaw become stronger and more angular like my brother's? Would I keep my little wrists and hands???

What kind of metamorphasis would I undergo?

I HATE people watching me when I run too, Shiloh. I particularly hate people who stare pointedly at my (ahem) body. So I wear tight running pants??? They are much more comfortable than baggy ones. Running rash is NOT pleasant...And close fitting running pants keep one from getting too cold/too sweaty...

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger The Borg said...

Try it! Star Wars + monkeys = way better. Surgery + ninjas = way cooler. Star Wars + monkeys + ninjas = SO MUCH AWESOME IT'S TOO MUCH!!! LOL!

Amy, I can't believe your brother doesn't think he's good looking. You're too dainty to be a hot male, I'm sorry. Likewise Emi.

I was going to dress up as a guy for the Rove Live guys only night at Olympic Park. I pulled a cap down to my eyes, wore a baggy hoodie, jeans, slouched and thrust my jaw out. The other two girls in the house saw me and were frightened. One thing gave me away though - my hips. If a guy had my butt they'd be embarressed. So, I probably would have been found out at the Rove Live thing - turns out all the guys had a mass strip-down!

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger The Borg said...

LOL!

 
At 11:27 AM, Blogger Swil said...

Every story has a plot Slo, some juust have good ones and other have bad ones. Many adhere to a fairly standard structure (such as the one you mentioend) and are great, others do it and are bad. Many ignore the traditional structure and are bad, others do so and are great.

However I'd say if you could somehow look at the ratios, the percentages would be in heavy favour of following a strong, structured plot, instead of a Napolean Dynamite style meandar (loved ND but I feel "meandering" is the best way to describe the plot, in a good way). People like to feel like they're being taken somewhere.

I find the idea that "if a movie has to rely on a plot to keep the audience interested, I think it fails." quite... bizarre. You know what makes a movie fail? Missing its target audience. If the target audience doesn't get involved, the movie has failed. Simple as that. People can be pretentious as they like, dissing hollywood "trash" and talking about how much better some obscure Bolivian film is instead because it doesn't follow foolish western 3 act tradition, but at the end of the day there's a few million people going to see that hollywood "trash" that disagree. (side note: yes, hollywood does release a lot of crap, but a lot of very good successful films get dissed just because they, well, work).

Plot is fairly obviously a very important part of story, I find it very strange you think a story shouldn't rely on it, or that if it has a strong structured one it is somehow inherently using that as a crutch.

Saying a movie shouldn't rely on plot to be successful is like saying a car shouldn't rely on its gearbox. There's plenty of wheeled vehices that move without them!

 
At 6:01 PM, Blogger kat said...

"I find the idea that "if a movie has to rely on a plot to keep the audience interested, I think it fails." quite... bizarre."

Bizarre perhaps, but nonetheless, a valid opinion. and underline the word "rely". I agree with shiloh in this. A movie can have much to say without having a 'narrow' plot.

Certainly, there are alot of films that get dissed because they are blockbusters. mindless entertainment. that's not to say they're not good. there are plenty of films that i love to watch because of their direct storyline.

but overall, when I go to watch a movie, I'm not looking for this set storyline - whether easily guessed or twisted. it's another experience that I go to for.

if you've ever talked to me about movies, you'd know that half the time, i can't even remember what happened. i don't normally recall quotes or significant events. but i remember how it made me feel, and often, what it made me think about.

mostly, i like a movie that moves me to imagine - inspires me to creative thinking, and leaves me with a sense of conviction not just about the ideas and information the movie itself has presented, but about the way in which the world i live operates. challenging and beautiful.

sometimes, plot lines can be distracting. i believe, movies that don't have a significant plot can still be just as useful as others that do.

 
At 11:03 PM, Blogger Swil said...

Erm, did you read the first paragraph of my post?

Also,

and underline the word "rely". I agree with shiloh in this. A movie can have much to say without having a 'narrow' plot.

How does that relate to a movie relying on its plot being a failure?

but overall, when I go to watch a movie, I'm not looking for this set storyline - whether easily guessed or twisted. it's another experience that I go to for.

Set storyline does not equal plot. Also what someone is looking for doesn't equate to what will get them what they're looking for. A good strong plot, for most people, is what gets them the experience you're talking about, even if you don't remember the plot. Yes, this can also happen without a strong plot in the traditional sense, but in the case of 90% of successful films, there is a strong plot.

Also, plot doesn't mean predictable.

 
At 12:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is why I go jogging at midnight, if I ever go jogging. (which, at present, is never.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home