Quite Agreeable
I rewatched Emma last night. *Sigh* I love Mr Knightly so. Wise, admirable and honourable. And the when he told Emma off - that is sexy. Jane Austen wrote such timelessly attractive male leads. They are, of course, purely fictional. You see, I think that there is a nexus between the fine gentlemen she constructed and fact that she was a singleton all her days. Perhaps she was holding out for the man of her pen and would only settle for him, but was happily settled if no such man appeared - she would not comprimise. Indeed, I believe she had many proposals that she turned down.
The dialouge in Emma is brilliant. Witty, funny, consise and wise. Just a couple of years ago I didn't understand Austen. In fact, I didn't even udnerstand soap operas. I conclude that I must be a late social developer. I'm probably just finding things out that everyone else has known for ages.
In other news, my housemate Von just gave me two pairs of tacky earrings. I'm stoked, it was very sweet of her. You're probably puzzling over how tacky entails sweet. We were looking through my Ice Accesories (TM) jewelry and I casaully mentioned that I wanted to expand my collection of tacky earings, and she remembered. And I only wear tacky ironically. Like how I wear pink ironically. And wear miniskirts ironically. And watch the OC and Survivor ironically. And love Boston Rob ironically. And talk in a "Clueless" vioce ironically. And eat sushi ironically. And shop at Valleygirl ironically.
Hmm, I hope it wasn't ironic that I had to spell out the irony of my practices... ("I hope not [ironically].")

12 Comments:
The only Austen book I've read is Mansfield Park, and I didn't like the male OR female leads very much at all. Maybe I should give her another chance. She's somehow vaguely connected to our family tree I think.
Cher: ( to innocent friend )Sporadic means 'once in a while' try using it in a sentence today!"
Cute Guy: Be seeing you.
Innocent girl: Yeah, I hope not sporadically!
from "Clueless"...
I love "Emma" too, I watched it over and over, even though Gwynneth Paltrow irritates me to death in that movie:(
There's a new "Pride and Prejeudice" coming out with "Tom" from Spooks, (a.k.a Mathew Mcfadyen) which looks pretty good.
As Jonno says Austen always makes us like the wittier character who is less "fashionably" attractive. Which is interesting...It's like an Aussie "going for the underdog" thing.
We want Lizzie to marry money to spite those Bingley sisters, Emma to get knightly over the more demure jane fairfax, we want the colonel to be with the homely and delicate Anne over the rosy Lousia...
I think Austen has managed to tap into the insecurities of every woman, we know we aren't as pretty /socially brilliant as so-and-so and it makes us remember that our view of ourselevs isn't necessarily true.
maybe it's the earliest form of chicklit??? But with actual plot, clever, witty dialogue and the kind of technical ability which got it into the English Canon??
Perhaps more correct to call it a precursor to the far inferior chicklit???
Cher: ( to innocent friend )Sporadic means 'once in a while' try using it in a sentence today!"
Cute Guy: Be seeing you.
Innocent girl: Yeah, I hope not sporadically!
Was that for the benefit of our clueless readers? ;-)
I just watched the trailer for pride and prejudice. This is a Tom Quinn with Very Silly Hair. Aside from that, and the fact that this is Keira Knightley in yet another Fiesty Georgeous Chick role, it might be ok... but it might be pretty heavy handed in terms of plot, character development etc. Plus, whether it's as Mr Darcy, or Mark Darcy... there will never be another Colin Firth.
ps, emi - mansfield park is widely regarded as one of Austen's least likeable books, mostly because it has such a wet heroine.
I have a bad feeling that Ms Kiera will just do a Lelitta from Bride and Prejudice, not Elizabeth Bennet.
And yes, there will never be another Colin Firth.
Clueless is basically emma, so I thought it was appropriate :)
Yes, I liked how you did that. :)
Thanks Aaron!
"And the part when he told Emma off - that is sexy."
So I'm wonbdering if I should tell a girl off like that. What do you think?
Yes, but first you need to get 1) an English accent 2) an early 19th century outfit 3) a meadow and 4) a Jeremy Northam suit. Then you may do it.
Oh dear.
And to make it even harder john...
Not just any guy in
1) an English accent 2) an early 19th century outfit 3) a meadow and 4) a Jeremy Northam suit
will do..
the context is a kind of romantic tension created by a) mutual respect
b) mutual attraction c) sideburns
:)
Post a Comment
<< Home