Saturday, May 21, 2005

Birl/Goy

"What we cannot speak about we must pass over in silence... but what really matters is what we can only be silent about."

Just kidding folks. I'll keep writing.

You're probably wondering what that "but" is doing in the above phrase. It possibly should be an "and", but it doesn't matter really, because "but" has no logical consequence. Strange. Perhaps there is a logic where such subtlties are taken into account. Maybe I should invent one.

"The aspect of things that are most important to us are hidden becayse of their simplicity and familiarity." I just spent the last couple of days arguing for the most obvious of propositions because I take it that Bruce prizes rigour. I keep cringing because I handed in a rubbish draft and Bruce will think I'm really stupid. Argh. Pride issues.

I read this book "For Women Only: what you need to know about the inner lives of men". Enlightening. Which is strange given I grew up with blokes. Upon reflection, however, I realised many of the things that men worry about worries me too. Like wanting respect and being afraid that your inadequacies will be found out. For example, in Honours, I have an irrational fear that Bruce will pull me aside and say "What do you think you're doing? You shouldn't be here - you're too dumb!"

My explanation for this androgenity (my taste in movies is quite blokish too) is global. As women do traditionally men things, we'll experience their worries and pressures. Androgenity (sp?) is popping up everywhere - female models have square jaws and wide mouths. Male models have pouty lips.

In other news, I hung out with Dooda, Tim and Shaun last night. T'was radcoolfun. And, boy do those boys lurve gelato.

2 Comments:

At 5:22 PM, Blogger Emi said...

Or maybe, wanting respect and worrying about inadequacies are just basic human worries, and not concerns that should be attributed as being 'masculine'. I have those kinds of irrational fears all the time. I know lots of people, male and female, who feel like they're just 'not good enough'. It's sad :(

 
At 8:18 PM, Blogger The Borg said...

Yeah, I reckon you're right, Emi. (I'm suspicious of all this "Mars vs Venus" diatribe.) And it is sad.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home