Boys, Clothes & Talk. How girly.
Constantine is dead. I mean, he was elminated from American Idol last friday night. I didn't cry as much as Paula Abdul, but I wanted to. Oh well, at least he'll get a record deal (a hopeful guess). And I am soo buying it. I was suprised that Anthony Federa and Constantine were in the bottom two. I mean, they were totally getting the female vote - the girls who squeal over Jesse McCartney would have voted for Anthony (who would they vote for in the Federal Elections??), wheras Constantine got the Thinking Woman's vote. ;-)
Do you ever wear clothes and just for a moment you reflect and conclude that, yes, this is totally me. That happened to me yesterday. You see, a lot of the time I wear stuff that I don't think is an expression of my identity. Like jeans and a knitted top - purely warm and functional and not very feminine. However, yesterday I wore a brown cord skirt (Valleygirl $5!) with an uneven hem. It's made out of a number of stips of fabric so that it looks like it's made out of a giant Autumn leaf (I wore it to Valerie's autumnal party on saturday night). The skirt has a "Nightmare Before Christmas"/American Gothic vibe.
Valerie's party was aptly held in Canterbury Pressy Church Hall (quasi-gothic interior). I only knew a couple of people and I don't really like introducing myself. Thankfully Bei-en and Paul (people I did know) introduced me to a few people. But after introductions, I don't have much else to say, since I don't like chit-chat. Actually, I haven't yet found anyone who has confessed to loving smalltalk. If it's the case that we all hate it then this makes social interaction all the more absurd. My Uncle Andrew put it like this [in response to his 9yo daughter's question about what adults talk about]: "You can just say anything. It doesn't matter, as long as it's inane. There's no connection between what's going on in here (points to head) and what's going on here (points to group of people standing around in the circle)."

11 Comments:
Smalltalk. Yah. Dontcha wish you had a fast-forward button in conversations so you could just talk about deep and meaningful and interesting stuff like philosophy or theology or girls?
Like the new layout, just by the by.
I don't know if American Idol is showing on Southern Cross here - I think it might be on TDT. But yes, from what I've picked up with my keen pop culture radar, Constantine going is pretty sucky. Never seen him or heard him sing, but here's a tribute.
Her are some of my favourite Constantine moments. Who could forget "Constantine is dead", or the time he and Anthony Federa "were in the bottom two". Personally, I'll always remember that "Constantine got the Thinking Woman's vote".
Constantine, we're gonna miss you bro.
Lol (to your small talk observations, and Uncle Roo's answer). Uncle Andrew is amusing in his wisdom.
I guess small talk is like an entree to a good meal. There isn't much substance in an entree its just nibbles to whet your appetite, the main meal is where you really get your nourishment.
Constanine is gone and I say, thank goodness! It really creeped me out the way he would stare into the camera and never blink.
Haoran - glad you like the new layout.
Angus - Thank you for the tribute.
Sethals - Thanks. Although, I'd say smalltalk is usally a lot less apetizing than soup and garlic bread.
Angela - No way. That was sexy. And the pout! I now know what it is like to be in love with a rockstar... ;-)
Hey! Wassup, I liked the pink!
All these wussy boys can;t take the old pink action!!!???
I actually don't mind smalltalk, with the right people...
Except at work, whe the despest we get is "That colour looks beautiful on you", or "I've got P.M.T too How about that?" i KID you not!
Aims, you should spice things up at work by saying part way through the conversation 'do you realise we're all going to die one day?' My brother used to do that sometimes, it always got an interesting reaction at least :)
I would so link to, they alsready seem to think I'm a little strange for not gossipping enough, but they are starting to get me on the complaining thing...
Arg!
Yes, I should say something like that' Like, "Do you realise that when you die none of this will matter, your body will decompose and all the money spent on skincare will be wasted..?"
That would get their attention!
I see that you, John and I have all posted about Constantine.
I'm sure that means something...
-- Radagast
And each in a different sense...
... of course.
-- Radagast
Post a Comment
<< Home