Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Some People Juggle Geese

Yesterday I would have said that I was hooked, pathalogically hooked on it. But about seven or eight episodes later, I think I'm the verge of saturation. I can feel it in my blood (I have two episodes left. Hopefully the "I'm sick of it" feeling and the "I'm going to kill myself because Firefly is over" feeling will coincide, thus cancelling each other out and leave me feeling normal and sane) But before that happens let me say a few words.

Love the dialouge. And the Cowboy meets future meets Chinese vibe. I like Kaylee, Jayne (does he remind anyone of Bobby North?), Mal (of course, but it's certainly not just a looks thing. He's a cool, confident, funny character), Walsh and the Shepheard. I don't like the following: Zoe is a bit dull, Inara is too prim and proper, Simon is weak and pathetic and I just wish Jayne had got to kill River. I have a secret longing (but Joss Wheden would have none of it) that Kaylee and Mal would get together, even though they do kinda have the father/daughter thing going on... it's a bit like how Eowyn and Aargorn should have got together, except the King of Middle Earth went and ruined it by marrying boring Arwen.

I have to remember though (and so I don't worship them), Mal and Walsh don't say the witty dialouge, Joss Wheden does. And he probably lies awake all night thinking it up. And he's probably 40 and fat and doesn't make eye contact with women.

Woo-hoo, I just got rid of the bain of my cyberkinetic existence... the "insert key"! Actually this is the second I've catapulted into the air today. Maybe I'll go around to the neighbours and fix their keyboard too. Hell, I'll do the whole street. Maybe I'll save the world from sentences upon sentences of swallowed up text!

6 Comments:

At 7:00 PM, Blogger Craig Schwarze said...

I don't like Jayne at all - except for comic relief. But he really is an unpleasant character...

Glad you 'get' the western thing - it was one of the things that a lot of people had an issue with originally.

But in a lot of ways Firefly is more realistic than other sci fi. For example, no FTL travel - all the planets are in the one system. Also, they mostly use projectile weapons - no silly laser guns. I also think the political scenario is pretty clever and subtle...

 
At 7:49 PM, Blogger Angus said...

I think Jayne is awesome. He's a simple man, who knows what he wants. And yes, he reminds me a bit of Bobby North. I totally agree about Simon, however I also found Book to be pretty boring too.

Hah, I remember in year 12 you pulled some of the insert keys off keyboards in the library! I don't think Mrs Casey was too happy...;)

 
At 11:11 PM, Blogger The Borg said...

He he, as I was removing the "insert" key I had a vauge feeling ofde ja vu.

Yeah, Book can be boring, and a bit wet too.

Craig, do you think sci-fi should be less fantasy and more realism?

 
At 11:53 PM, Blogger Craig Schwarze said...

I enjoy the grittiness of something a bit more real. Star Trek really is scientific nonsense - the warp drive and the transporter being the prime offenders.

Firefly also has some issues though. Gravity during space flight (no doubt provided by their magic anti-gravity machine). And a pretty big ignorance of Newtonian mechanics (in space, when the engine breaks down you keep moving - you don't drift to a halt).

Ok, but there is heaps I loved about the show. Look at all the sfx shots. They are all computer generated, but they wanted to get a "hand-held camera" feel, so they deliberately programmed in jerky shots and out of focus shots as well. The end result is fantastic...

 
At 7:49 AM, Blogger Bron said...

I like them all! And River is way cooler once you've seen the movie. I know what you mean about the Mal/Kaylee thing... it would be kinda cool, but also weird.

and yes, joss wheddon is not particularly attractive. But hey, i'll bet everyone's had a crush on a fictional character at least once in their life.

 
At 11:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Firefly r0x0rs. That's all I have to say.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home