"I just don't know...
...what to do with myself."
I know what I could do with myself. The little things, like reading novels and non-philosophical non-fiction or drawing or catching up with all the people I've been shirking for my essays and thesis. But I think we internalise some idea that we always ought to be doing something "big" like, school when we're young, uni when we're a bit older, and work after that. It almost seems incomplete to think, no, from now on, I'll "do whatever I wanna do, gosh!" I guess this is how it feels to have your social girders torn from beneath you.
I thought I was the kind of person impervious to such socially constructed angst.
I could go out and buy lots of material objects to fill the emptiness inside. But I think there might be better options...

8 Comments:
I don't know how much money you have, but it probably won;t be enough to fill the emptiness with material stuff :) The human heart is never satisfied
Glad you've finished. Are you tired? When you have a sense of purpose again, can I get an email?
I'm anxious to hear from you about how you are :)
Love aims
You could submit something to The Brew :)
I always feel really bereft whenever I finish a semester. I guess that's even more intense when you finish something so major. I never know what to do with myself, feel like I should be doing housework/reading/doing all the things I wanted to do while I was busy.... but I often can't be bothered. Best thing is to have a proper holiday.
Nice post...What you say is so true,while being caught in the cocial nesscity to do something 'proper' like a professional course or a job I am discouraged from even finding my real voice. Is it a luxury then to live life on your terms and choose what you want to do? And y amaterial things won't help, you'll keep wanting more :)
""I just don't know..."
...what to do with myself."
Wasnt that an Aretha Franklin song?? Or maybe Aretha didn't write it, but she covered it on one of her albums.
The White Stripes have recently doen a over of it too, I can;t imagine how that will sound!
Amiel -
it was written by the ultimate team of Burt Bacharach and Hal David - the best-known performance of it would be by Dusty Springfield - but I wouldn't be surprised if Aretha covered it too (didn't she do the definitive "I say a little prayer" and "You make me feel like a natural woman" - also by Bacharach/David?).
rgds,
Ben P (who you don't know)
ps - to yam - how old are you??? " Is it a luxury then to live life on your terms and choose what you want to do?" - um, it's more like an "undesirable impossibility" - like most of us you'll probably find that your 20s are a slow and painful process of negotiation with reality.
but yam - please don't let my cynical comments discourage you from hanging around and commenting on Shiloh's blog - I'm not here much anyway... I'm sure she's delighted to have you
negotiation with reality. i like that.
Post a Comment
<< Home