Monday, November 22, 2004

It's over when the fat chick wins.

Dream

Last night I dreamt that my brother had come out.

I asked him "Are you still going to have your wedding?"

"Yes!" He replied "I lurrve weddings."

Funny to me.

Philosophy

I'm hungry for some intellectual stimulation. So, tommorow I shall go to the uni library and borrow some Kant, Hume and Wittgenstien. Overly optimistic, yes.

Malls

I like malls. I think my admission excludes me from any accusation of blind consumerism. When I was in Melbourne (nothing in Hobart can really be classified as a Mall) I developed this need to be fed with a bombardment (excuse the mixed metaphor) of product smells, bright colours and trashy music. It was so relaxing to briefly switch off the critical faculties, sheltered from the oppressive heat outdoors and drag my thonged feet around the Temple of Consumption. I suppose it was so relaxing because there were no demands placed on me bar the coercion of sales assistants, which is no great force given the proliferation of shops. I also like malls because you can shop for clothes...

Clothes

At the moment, I like clothes shopping. Why? You enter into a flash, clean, bright room full of catagorized virgin garments. They smell good. There is so much choice (well, not really, that's part of the pain of shopping). In places like Valley Girl the asthetic is good because all garments are colour coded and ordered. It's just so visually satisfying. But why are clothes themselves good? Other than the fact that God made them, they transport you into slice of fantasy or alterego. Clothes are, afterall, transformation. Escapism, even to the tiniest degree.

16 Comments:

At 6:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clothes:

Try working with them everyday... Just like you get sick of whatever food you are selling after a while. Also did you know that the Myer colour code is a visual merchandise regulated? This means that every store across Australia has the same standards.

The order goes:- White, sand, bone, yellow, pink, red, green, blue, purple, grey, brown, black. And yes, everything is meant to go in that order when shelving a stack of shirts/tops of the same kind.


Escapism and clothes, utterly agree...
Creating a look is quite a transformative thing. Dressing up is fun!

 
At 6:23 PM, Blogger Japh said...

don't bother getting Hume... at least not for his theories on causation...

 
At 7:02 PM, Blogger The Borg said...

Japh, have you read Hume? Hume ownz causation.

 
At 11:29 PM, Blogger Japh said...

yes i have read Hume, and it seems to me you and Hume are in agreement about him "ownz"ing causation :S

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger The Borg said...

I'd be interested to hear your objections. :)

 
At 10:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember you saying this time last year that you were going to spend the summer reading philosophy books from the uni library. And the year before that, if I'm not mistaken. ;)

Dekker

 
At 10:38 AM, Blogger Swil said...

The dream made me laugh. A lot. Have you told him?

 
At 10:44 AM, Blogger The Borg said...

Thanks Shaun. I'm glad you find my subconscious funny.

It went like this:

"Seth, you were in my dream last night... It might offend you."

Seth: "Was I queer?"

 
At 11:05 AM, Blogger Swil said...

ROFL

Have u been making "unseasonably festive" jokes all day?

 
At 12:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Soooooo...
Results at uni good? Life going well? Update coming soon? :)

Angus

 
At 9:41 AM, Blogger Craig Schwarze said...

Yes Shiloh, better write something for the one or two people who still stop by here...

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger dan said...

Come on, something interesting must be happening.

You don't want the Borg's Live to be spoken of in the same hushed tones as other abandonware like the Wannabe Director, do you? He's still got an old-world comments hack from the early days. =)

 
At 1:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So I figured that before this blog is shut down and turned into a gibbon sanctuary, I'd post a crazy link of the day. Or week. A crazy link of the Ill Defined Time Period.

www.megwood.com

Meg Wood's Boyfriend of the Week has been running for a long time now. Every week (pretty much), Meg finds a new boyfriend. At the moment, it's Joe Lando ('Sully' from 'Dr Quinn, Medicine Woman'). She goes over their good points and bad points, and at the end, has a score comparing them to Macgyver. Hugh Jackman was the closest to Macgyver that I've seen.
So, Crazy Link of the Ill Defined Time Period - it should keep the gibbons at bay for a while yet.

Angus

 
At 12:10 PM, Blogger dan said...

Gus, how do you find these things? o_0

And yeah, Hugh Jackman got a 99.1215 MacGyver score, but she's given higher ones, like Seth Green and Dick van Dyke.

Ok, back to work...

 
At 12:21 PM, Blogger dan said...

Hey, a real gibbon sanctuary...

http://www.ippl.org/sanctuary.html

They've also got otters, which is very cool. =)

 
At 2:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Got to keep those gibbons at bay!

Another Crazy Link of the Ill Defined Time Period!

http://svt.se/hogafflahage/hogafflaHage_site/Kor/hestekor.html

Click on the horses, make them sing. Most of you have probably seen this before.

Angus

 

Post a Comment

<< Home