Tuesday, October 04, 2005

The Borg On...

Australian Idol
Not that there's much to choose from, but my favourite Idol Judge is Mark Holden. I was pleased to see him get angry at mediocrity and ignorance. You might think I'm being uniformative, but Idol really has degenerated into a substandard competition. Gone are the days of Guy and Ricky Lee (her name, by the way, is best said in Engrish. Try it, and you'll see ;-)).

Rising Petrol Prices
I'm no economist, but I think perhaps it is the case that when the cost of a commidity goes up, and even though the average consumer does not directly benefit, at least someone in the nation does. It maybe the case then, that rich people benefit, and in an ideal world, these rich people require more labour; more dog groomers and thong wearing pool cleaners and the like, so employment increases, so the average consumer eventually benefits. Checks and balances, people. However, the rising cost of oil benefits no one in Australia because it is an external force. The only ones benifiting are the wealthy oil shieks in Saudia Arabia, and the only benefit that will have for Australians is more for the mosques over here and maybe these sheiks will want more Australian wives, although the only benefit from the latter will be an increase in our camel population ("What! My daughter is worth more than 500 camels!").

So Australians are going to loose on a number of fronts. I'm making a few (educated) assumptions here, but I suggest our losses will include more than paying a few extra cents for bread and milk. The oil shieks will keep funding terroism (dare I say) and eventually, unless we start using hybrid cars and trucks, Australia will just become another province in the Great Islamic Empire. (there are of course other contributing factors here, like Muslims having lots of children. They'll buy us out and breed us out. And yes, I'm using "us" "them" language. And no, I don't care that I'm possibly reinforcing predujices and hatred by doing so (not that I would want to do that, though!) - it already exists to such an extent that whatever I say won't do much. And it's a silly convention anyway - everyone thinks in those "us" "them" terms anyway, no matter how PC they like to think they are.)

What to do about it all? 1) If you're a Christian, pray for Muslims 2) Petition the Australian government to get proactive about alternate fuel (you don't have to be a hippy to be for alternate energy - you just have to have a brain) 3) If you're a Christian, have lots of children.

Postmodernity
Just a token comment because that's what you're expecting. ;-) In academic circles, it's defiently on the way out. But Enlightment nor Medieval ways of thinking are not hip either. A sort of Naturalistic Platonism (I've bastardized a McDowell term here) is the new pink.

Sharehouse Living
Our flat is cultivated kooky. You might think that the "cultivated" part is a bad thing, but if you're going to be a kooky sort of person, you're likely to be self-consciousl about it, anyway. Ergo, it is justified. Anyhow, we have a big pink "gaurd bunny" that sits in the tree outside (which I rescued from the rubbish, but didn't want to infect inside by bringing it in). It must be working, as we haven't yet been broken into. ;-) Any jewellery that oneone wears has special magical powers, which are discovered upon experiment. And we pretty much only speak in Engrish and Little Britian quotes.

Spring Time
Is making everyone crazy! It is the intoxicating mix of the bright sun, the anticipatory vibe, the chirpy birds, the warm air and hormones that is making not only the animals "go Spring time" at the zoo, but making more couples getting "Hotball and Neckey" on the street corners and just impairing everyone's judgments in general...

25 Comments:

At 1:35 PM, Blogger Craig Schwarze said...

Australian Idol

I can't stand Mark Holden, but I like the other judges even less. Kyle made a boofhead out of himself the other day when commenting on "We Will Rock You". I'm afraid its American Idol or bust.

Rising Petrol Prices

I agree with you on two points -

1. You are not an economist

2. The government should encourage alternative fuels

Regarding point 2, I think it would be reasonable to subsidise hybrid cars. The Toyota Prius is currently about $38,000 new. Rather than reduce teh petrol levy, use the increased revenue to subsidise it down to about $30,000. Then within 5 years there will be good quality second-hand hybrids around for about $10,000.

I dont agree, however, that rising oil prices will lead to Islamofascism taking over Australia. I think extreme Islam may present us with a witness opportunity to moderate/nominal Muslims who may start to question their faith.

Postmodernity

Can you describe "Naturalistic Platoism"? Can you describe it in phrases that non-philosophy majors can understand?

Sharehouse Living

Our sharehouse has much less character. The only thing people notice when they visit are my large TV set and our massive CD collection.

Spring Time

I plead the fifth...

Note - comment not split in order to avoid offence...

 
At 2:43 PM, Blogger Bron said...

spring. yes, maybe... but there was a pretty good dusting of snow on the mountain this morning.

 
At 3:38 PM, Blogger Emi said...

I miss Dicko. Kyle flounders when he has to comment first, he has no conception of whether something is a good vocal performance, he can only comment on song choice and appearance. Marcia only knows about four phrases - 'that's all I'm going to say', 'you did well', 'you go girlfriend' and 'you're more than welcome'. Mark occasionally makes intelligent comments, but he's also often a complete tool.

As for Guy and Ricky Lee, I didn't like either of them. Although I agree the standard isn't fantastic this year, I quite like Anne and Dan but don't feel much of a connection with them.

 
At 9:58 PM, Blogger Bron said...

snow, being the exciting event that it is does not detract from the awesomeness of the day but rather adds to it!

(but it does mean it must've been pretty cold last night)

 
At 5:40 AM, Blogger Tim Thornton said...

I fear I may be about to overstay my welcome on this list and undertake to bugger off shortly. Naturalised platonism is an odd thing for our leader to contrast with Post Modernism but I think I can see why. Forgive me if this takes a few sentences. There's a really big intellectual temptation when trying to understand or explain something to 'reduce' it: ie to explain it in more basic terms. (What is the alternative? To link it to equally high level concepts.) But if the reduction goes wrong there are a couple of conclusions you might draw: you might think that the concept doesn't describe anything real (witchcraft, hexing, morals according to some, meaning according to others); or you might think that it's real but primitive, as basic as the supposedly more basic things you want to reduce it to. I think, but I may be wrong, that lots of Post Modern hysteria stems from a failure of reduction: finding that you cannot reduce the meaning of words to basic and well behaved items that are utterly unambiguous makes PoMo folk really worried about meaning. I'm a Wittgenstein and we, by contrast, recall that we often arrange to meet people 'by the bar' without saying how close to the bar that is. The ambiguity doesn't worry us. So Naturalised Platonism is an interesting contrast: Platonism is the idea that there are rational patterns 'out there' like the patterns of maths or logic or less obviously the pattern made by the meanings of words that stretches into the future. Naturalised Platonism is an attempt to make that thought sound less spooky by trying to undermine the natural contrast between unproblematic nature (eg the nature of physics) and problematic norms: real oughts out there. The idea is that there's more to nature than Hawkings describes. (Obviously I'd need to say a little more about where the erroneous temptation comes from. Sorry.)
By the way, I saw that moral realism got a hard press on this list a month ago. It is an odd position. My main qualm about it is its potential for conservatism. I'm less worried by the question: but how do we know what's right. I think that applies to physics also. Ultimately I think we only have 3 choices to answer the question: what makes a moral judgement right or wrong:
nothing
accord with principles (cf chess, Peano arithmetic)
accord with the moral facts
None is very attractive.

 
At 8:46 AM, Blogger Craig Schwarze said...

Platonism is the idea that there are rational patterns 'out there'

Got that

Naturalised Platonism is an attempt to make that thought sound less spooky by trying to undermine the natural contrast between unproblematic nature (eg the nature of physics) and problematic norms: real oughts out there.

Ummm....

The idea is that there's more to nature than Hawkings describes.

I can understand that. So what you're saying is that some stuff that is usually regarded as "supernatural" (for want of a better word) is actually just "natural"? That we've drawn the line between the physical and the metaphysical in the wrong place?

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger Angus said...

Back to the fun stuff!

I like Kyle. He often says what I'm thinking. "That was lame. You murdered it.. etc". Mark is becoming more toolish as the weeks go on, but I understand what he's saying. He wants the contestants to start revealing their emotions in the songs a bit more. This happened in the first season with Guy and Paulini, and even Cosima (although I'm not a fan of hers). In the second season Anthony sang the Prayer (and even now I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about it).

As for the standard of this year's competition - I think overall it is better than both previous years. Does anyone remember how many crap singers there were in the first season? I'll run through a few. Kelly Cavuoto (the rock chick), Cle, Levi (the cool - but off-tune - r&b singer), Rebecca (also off tune), Peter the pigfarmer, Millsy (who could not, and still can't, sing), and Matt (the boy who should have been in Westlife). Oh yeah, and Lauren (the 16yo who cried when she tried to sing Lady Marmalade when she got knocked out). That's eight of the top 12 - and none of them were really that good.

Second season was UGLY Idol. One of the main reasons Kyle has been good is the fact he comments on how they look. I mean really, Chanel? Casey? Courtney? Marty? Angie? Anthony the dwarf ( a pretty dwarf though)? Emelia? Only Hayley, Daniel Belle, Dan O'Connor and Amali could have been called attractive (Ricki-Lee was kinda gawky, but I still think she should have won).

So this year I think they've got it right. I mean Roxy had an amazing voice (Daniel Spillane should have gone on Monday night. He sucked), so did Natalie, so did Tarni, and so did the Wiggle (even though he was kinda arrogant and should have picked a better song). All the people left have good voices (except for Lee), and they're all at least look the part (the guys are a bit of a funny bunch though).

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger Craig Schwarze said...

Back to the fun stuff!

Hmmm...I suspect our hostess does find "Naturalised Platonism" fun.

But your deconstruction of Idol was pretty accurate. Actually, its made me realise how crap Australian Idol has been since it started. No wonder I hardly bother to watch it...

 
At 11:55 AM, Blogger Emi said...

I didn't think Chanel was ugly...

As for the standard of singing, the people you mentioned from season 1 were mostly crappy, but I don't think the people left in this season are all that fantastic. I think there are about 5 of the top 13 that have great voices, the rest...meh. And they're just not all that engaging to me. Or particularly attractive. And as for good looks, I find Guy to be totally unappealing, and Casey would never have gotten through this year because of her weight and yet I love her voice. She was way better at conveying the emotion in the song than this year's contestants.

Angus, we should watch the final together, seeing as we didn't get to do that with the O.C! We could even make Shaun watch ;)

 
At 1:39 PM, Blogger The Borg said...

Please don't go Tim. I'm enjoying your contributions.

I can see how the po-mo/platonism is a little odd, but I pitched them against each other (as you guessed) in regards to what they say about norms.

I still think we have to specify "how close to the bar we meet", since the only reason we're both in the pub is that we know implicitly that "by the bar" doesn't mean "10km away". But I guess that's precisely your point?

 
At 1:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Craig is that just a guess that the hybrids cd drop as low as $10 000? We wd like to trade in our van in about 5 years & get a hybrid. Otherwise I'll get an electric scooter.
Marion.

 
At 2:44 PM, Blogger The Librarian said...

Electric scooter, Mow?

Interesting to see how you will get all your equipment and books to the market.... :)

Perhaps a trailer??

 
At 3:26 PM, Blogger Craig Schwarze said...

Its pretty much a guess based on what car prices tend to do. But it was contingent upon the government subsidising new hybrids, and there is no evidence they will do that.

Go the scooter I reckon - they are selling like hotcakes in Sydney...

 
At 4:12 PM, Blogger Angus said...

Just a comment on petrol prices: if they continue to rise, this is actually good news for Australia. As you probably already know, we have pretty huge oil resources, but it hasn't been cost effective for Australian companies to really pursue it. I mean, the attitude was "lets buy from the Arabs, eventually they'll run out/price will go up, and it'll be worth our time trying to find some here". Until that time, it was cheaper and easier to buy our oil from them. Now that prices are rising, companies have started to drill in Australia. And we all know what this will mean.

Jobs. And massive wads of cash. Which? Good Thing. So, although the petrol prices are kinda hurting us now, in the long run, they could really benefit the entire Australian economy. No one really wants to buy from the Arabs. They'll happily buy from us if the price is the same. The Arabs will probably cut their prices etc, but once the operations are set up, the costs are basically sunk.

 
At 5:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amiel we'll still need a vehicle for the market - hybrid hopefully - & use the scooter for short errands. Angus I read in the paper that drilling for natural gas/oil may begin in Tassie Highlands soon.
M.

 
At 5:29 PM, Blogger The Borg said...

How would a scooter work on a dirt road?

 
At 6:24 PM, Blogger Craig Schwarze said...

Angus I read in the paper that drilling for natural gas/oil may begin in Tassie Highlands soon.

Senator Brown wont be impressed...

 
At 9:03 AM, Blogger Angus said...

"Angus I read in the paper that drilling for natural gas/oil may begin in Tassie Highlands soon."

Yep, some company is looking for oil near Scottsdale and places like that. Tassie has pretty awesome mineral resources, so odds are we've got some oil in there somewhere as well. Could be some very rich farmers out there.

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger Craig Schwarze said...

Are you talking about shale oil Angus, or something different?

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger The Borg said...

Meanwhile, back at the ranch... I wonder if we have oil at Barnstable? ;-)

 
At 5:29 PM, Blogger Angus said...

Not Shale oil, although I think we've got some of that here too.

If they struck oil in Margate it would be crazy. All these people using their newfound wealth to build houses made from wood imported from Norway, with stones from Turkey. And everyone would buy Telstra a new exchange, so everyone could have broadband.

 
At 3:55 PM, Blogger Radagast said...

So, given your interests, can we look forward to "Philosophy Idol" any time soon? :)

-- Radagast

 
At 5:16 PM, Blogger The Borg said...

Hey yeah! Great idea Radagast. :)

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger Radagast said...

I was thinking the judges for "Philosophy Idol" could be Socrates, Thomas Aquinas, and (as the nasty judge) Bertrand Russell...

-- Radagast

 
At 3:01 PM, Blogger The Borg said...

LOL!

(he he he... Philosophy joke)

Good mix of schools btw...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home