"Extreme Mormon" is Twenty Six Points
~ I emailed John Safran and asked him if he wanted to play a game of scrabble. I haven't heard back from him yet.
~ Our flat is still very student. Things we don't have: 1 Toaster 2 Microwave 3 Technically we have a fridge, but it's a "little over zealous"; we have to chizzle milk out of the carton. So maybe Emi could use her magic wishing skilz on this one. Or people could pray... 4 A dinning table
5 Chairs 6 DVD player 7 a wok. So far, I like the whole survival-on-minimum-resources-thing. I think I'm a bit of a closet aesetist/machosist, I somehow think that I'm being positively transformed by "difficult" circumstance. However, this is probably just rubbish recieved wisdom (from the Greeks).
~ I saw some graffiti (sp?) on the Old Quad: "Destroy Power, not People." Okay, I know what they're trying to say, but prima facie that is just silly. If we destroyed the "ability to do" (ie, power) then we couldn't do any destroying. Of course, what they really mean is that they want to destroy evil, totalitarian powers, or authoritarian governments, specifically in the case of Iraq, where there were many civilian deaths for the end of a "regime change". But whatever happened to "I say what I mean and I mean what I say"?

32 Comments:
If John doesn't take you up on the offer, I will next time you're down :)
Working my wishing magic as I type...
Saffran probably filed your email under his "weird stalker/bunny boiler" folder...
Hope the "survival-on-minimum-resources-thing" doesn't leave you living in a barrel...
-- Radagast
masochist? or maybe just too many survivalist games when you were younger.
'But whatever happened to "I say what I mean and I mean what I say"?'
"'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, 'it means
just what I choose it to mean . . .'"
---Kara
Hey Shyler, speaking of toasters, have you ever been grilling some battered fish thingies, and think... "this is very inefficient; it's only getting heat from one side at a time. Why should I have to turn it every 5 minutes?"
If you do, you may have gone on to think something like "what you REALLY need is an appliance that heats flat-shaped foods from BOTH sides at once, not just one.
Perhaps you continue, and realise "I've already got one of those!" whereupon you insert your already half-cooked fish fingers into the toaster and switch it on.
Sure, this all SEEMS like a great invention, until you realise that it makes your crumpets smell like fish the next morning.
And that's why we have grills in our ovens. :)
We have an "old" wok, ( i.e not quite as spanky as alex and shelley's electric wok, but I don;t think it will fit in my suitcase to bring it to you next month....
"graffiti (sp?) on the Old Quad"???
O tempora, O mores!
Next you'll tell me that there's a giant screen showing Big Brother set up on the South Lawn
- Ben P
You all made me laugh so hard, thank you. A special thanks to Hugo, Bron, Radagast and Ben P.
How did you get Safran's email address??
And I'd just like to give a special thanks to JL, emi, Kara, haoran and me...
And I'd like to thank me.
And Amiel. Nobody thanked Amiel. It was nice of you to volunteer that wok.
Well I'd like to give a special thanks to craig for giving special thanks to me :)
Aims, can you fit a toaster in your luggage?
Why thank you Emi!
I'd also like to thank the letter "Q" and the number "7"
Oh, and Jesus. No-one has thanked Jesus yet...
And I'd like to thank me.
LOL!
It was only a virtual wok anyway....maybe I can talk to the house ( mates) and see if they can part with it, then we can post it or soething???
I think we've gotten silly now. Be serious guys - don't ruin Shylo's blog!
I doubt she cares so long as the comments stack up...
Thanks for the kind offers of applia/ences. I was thinking of hosting another charity dessert night to raise money for the children in Philipino jails, but I thought, stuff that, my plight is so much more dire. I just ate a bite of Tracey's toastie that tasted like fridge themostat fluid or gas or something like that. We shall probably die in our sleep tonight. Farewell all!
Rest in peace. I'll see you in heaven.
So, did you survive the night?
Patently, yes. I had wierd dreams though. We were on an icebreaker travelling to Antarctica, with a stopover at Maquarie Island, in high seas, with lots of snow and ice, and I was wearing only a singlet top.
I think the window in my room is broken.
JS replied to my email...
So, is he going to play?
He first has to know the origins of my name.
He obviously hasn't read his Bible...
Hebraists argue over what your name means...
What are the main opinions JD?
Hey, that's cool.
I had to hunt it down, but I found it - when we first started corresponding, I said...
"Before I forget to mention, Shiloh's a cool namh! The internet tells me it means "rest", but also
that it is another name for Jesus (Gen 49). But you probably already
knew that."
Yes, some take it as a Messianic title. It's also a place name. So when it's used in Genesis 49:10, it could mean "until he comes to Shiloh", "until tribute comes to him" "until he comes to whom it belongs" etc.
I'm also Jeremy's (Vince Vaughn) imaginary friend in Wedding Crashers.
All part of being young, the struggle,survival and enjoying the whole thing.We all say what we mean most of the time. Don't think too hard and 'REST'
Post a Comment
<< Home