Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Musings on the Metro

Yesterday I met my supervisor. He wears a baret, but otherwise he's normal! Unless I'm just so used to talking to Mad Hatters.

I missed out on having coffee with Jason and Benji today. A pity.

I've stopped couple watching because it was getting boring.

Dave Walter gave a ripper talk on Collosians at Christian Union. It's wierd, CU is mainly girls. I wonder, are guys not interested in God? Or are they slack? (obviously not an exclusive "or").

As I was walking down Peel Street to Central station, I observed that Melbourne is shrinking before my eyes. It feels like a smaller city than Sydney, but it might just be a consequence of the illusion, that is a result of my swift Melbournization. It will be strange indeed to return to pint-sized home.

8 Comments:

At 10:27 PM, Blogger Craig Schwarze said...

"It's wierd, CU is mainly girls. I wonder, are guys not interested in God?"

This is a global phenonmena in the western world. Crossroads was exceptional - generally the females outnumber the males in the church.

I've often wondered why it is that gals seem to be more attracted to christianity that guys. I haven't come up with anything convincing yet...

"It feels like a smaller city than Sydney..."

News flash - it *is* a smaller city than Sydney. Though not by much population-wise. But the Sydney CBD is much more spread-out (and much more intersting, IMABHO)...

 
At 11:40 PM, Blogger kat said...

maybe our interpretation of 'christendom' is a little bit fluffy?

 
At 1:25 AM, Blogger Emi said...

Melbourne is built on a grid, so I always thought it seemed a lot cosier and more compact than Sydney...and easier not to get lost...

 
At 11:41 AM, Blogger Craig Schwarze said...

I don't think we are talking about christendom - just humble church-goers...

 
At 4:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too have noticed that in generaly men seem to somehow be less spiritally inclined. That being said, there are many, many of us men who fully understand the importance of religion and god and live our lives accordingly.

 
At 6:28 PM, Blogger The Borg said...

Anon, what do you mean by "spiritually inclined"?

 
At 10:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"It's wierd, CU is mainly girls."

I wonder if this has the potential to be a self-denying prophecy??

It would be interesting to explore if there is a thrid reason. Is, for example, there something about CU that makes it appeal more to girls? Do they preach a feminised gospel? Probably not. But it is interesting to observe the various reasons Christians might have for not joining a Christian organisation on campus...

JTD

 
At 6:36 PM, Blogger The Borg said...

John, I went to CU today, and I think you're right - the ratio seems to be evening out (did I get the catagory right there?).

Also, I told my flatmate about the low male numbers and she told me that if I'm looking for guys I should join Students4Christ. I don't know why she infered that, I think the purity of my motives are clear in not joining S4C. ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home