A Day in the Life Part 1
Wake up at 7:50am. Dress in running clothes and thread key ring around singlet top strap. Jog through pine forrest, green, McMansionVille, bushland (suburban Melbourne has lots of this) and play spot the Italian house. I look out for patio railings in the shape of pillars, gargoyles on gables, big brick fences, lots of cement, stone lions at the gatepost and a big sign out the front saying "Fresh Pasta". Keys work (I swapped with Flick). After I get ready, I walk to the bus, which is consistently eight minutes late. Catch a late train from the station. At this time of day, passengers are mainly pensioners and people with mental problems. Get off at Central station. Wait at train station and follow the other young people onto a tram. This will take me to the university if I hop off at the right stop. Walk through campus, unsure of exact location of the Moot Court, but walk in general easterly direction.
I arrive at a room which is National Trust protected (ergo no hot drinks. Of course philosophers pay no heed to this). I am suprised to discover that I'm one of only four girls in a class of twenty. This reflects a trend in tertiary education. Also, philosophy is one arts subject considered manly enough for men to get phds in. I guess the women are off discussing literary theory or having babies or getting their nails done or whatever they do instead of philosophy.
My lecturess is so hyper-animated I wanted to laugh at the absurdity but then realised that that would be totally innapropriate. She gets enthusiastic about deconstructing theory laden claims about assesing emotion for rationality. She is quick and clearly highly intelligent and articulate. She has a New Zealand accent. She has hairy legs.
My other two lecturers are not nearly as mad, so niether are probably as good a philosopher as she is. The other students are quite mad though, or at least slightly wierd. It's nice to be among company.
I'm running out of energy right now, so I'll tell you, Dear Reader, more tommorow. Before I go, I just have to get this out of system... I was looking for the lecture theatre in which the Christian Union talk was held. I had my diary out and was looking around. Then... and this is the highlight of my day... this good looking, polite, well dressed, Indian guy asked me if I was lost and I showed him the CU flyer and he took me to where CU is held. I wish could tell you the happy ending to this story like "He joined me at CU, we had coffee at the post-grad bar, he proposed and we had a shotgun Indian wedding (without all the Hindu bits)." Alas not. Besides, he said something like "That's quite hard to find beacuse this building is really old and archaic." *Old and archaic*? Hello! I can't be with a guy who commits tautologies like that. ;-) Besides, he was probably only helping me out because he needed more good kharma or something like that.

3 Comments:
First post! -- jml
Oh, come on shyborger, not everyone is studying philosophy of language!
Sounds like he wasn't a christian though, if he didn't make any other comment apart from the tautology....dang...
I'm sure in the bigger population however, the ratio of good looking boys is higher. Was the CU good?
Love aims
hey shiloh, stuph seems to have vanished... but I wanted to get your address so I can write you a letter (it's nice to get real letters in the real post, and i'm trying to write to a few of our 'exiles' this year) Anyway, don't post it on the internet, but can you email it to me? bronwyn_bultman@lycos.com
cheers.
Post a Comment
<< Home