Firefly: A Dissenting Opinion
Of course I still love Firefly. I love the Space-Western setting, and the rich, complex, funny world that Jos Wheden creates. What I like even more than the setting are the characters. Wheden does a good job at creating solid, believable sorts.
Except for River. I don't like her. Psychosis as a plot device is so boring. River is a character bereft of agency, of having to deliberate over painful moral conundrums. And because her brain has been messed with, she has acts irrationally and the lack of limitations on her character is dull - a character must be subject to human sorts of limits to be believable and interesting. She's like someone re-telling a dream; someone else's dream is boring because anything can happen. There is no launching pad of rationality for your mind to cling onto, to make the story and the character meaningful.
You might protest and say that River does have reasons for disturbing the peace and for making a dull subplot; the authorities have twidled with her brain. But this is not a reason, this is a cause. If I asked you why chose chocolate over vanilla, a response like "because my neurons fired in this certain configuration, causing my muscles in my arm to contract and reach for the chocolate..." does not answer the question because it makes a category error. A response like "I like chocolate over vanilla because chocolate makes my tastebuds go 'zing' and I like a 'zing'" answers the question.
River is incapable of giving "reasons" for her behaviour, only Simon can step in and name some "causes". Part of what makes a human is this higher-order ability to articulate (even if it's grunts like Jayne's), rationalise and give meaning to behaviour. River is a creation by Wheden who looks human, is terribly clever and dances like a cat. But she is hard to like, because she is so unlike a human.
------
A lot of people don't like the character Jayne. I gather that's because he's a thug. People don't like thugs because 1) you can't understand why a hitmen hit men or 2) you don't like thugish values. In response to 1), I think Jayne is pretty understanable as a character. He's a simple man who knows what he wants. And he knows how best to get it. And he has a strong sense of justice. It's pretty simple, really. As for 2), sure violence isn't usually the way, but let's face it, in Firefly World, it seems to get the job done!
Then there's Inara. She's a self-righteous prostitute. She doesn't like petty theft because it's illegal, but because the culture has sanctioned whoring, what she does is perfectly legal, honourable even. I don't like how Firefly implicitly validates prostitution in it's morally ambigious attitude to it. The courtesans are graceful, educated and beautiful. But no matter how much you dress up whoring, it's still whoring.
Inara and Mal can share a cup of tea, but there's a tension there, and it's not just sexual. Inara doesn't like lawbreakers. But Mal's not really a lawbreaker. For how can you be a lawbreaker when your miles above the law, orbiting far outside it's juristriction? In a world like Firefly's, the lines of government and power are blurred. There are rebels, there are authorities. But is the authority rightfully begot? Where does Imperial territory begin and Independent territory end? If there's no land to draw borders on, but merely dust and gas... If the planet you're inhabiting is barely terraformed, who owns it?
Mal and his crew aren't outlaws, they're justified, because there's no laws for them to break. It's just every man for himself in black.
Disclaimer: Some may read me as saying that psychotic people are not human. That would be a silly reading because if you read clearly and don't commit any logical fallacies in the reading, you'll discover that's not what I'm saying.

19 Comments:
I've only seen Serenity, but River looks pretty sexy when she kills people.
Which, of course, totally destroys your argument.
I too thought River was dull - kind of a 'non' character. I didn't think all that much of Simon either - for a 'smart' character, he did some pretty stupid things. I did like, though, that his people skills were continually poor - that was interesting.
I agree about Inara.
Jayne was so irritating - moody really - but a great character.
I liked Mal the best. But I suppose you're meant to, aren't you?
I don't think River is actually a character on Firefly, I mean, she looks like one, but she's actually a plot device. She only exists as something to force everyone else to make decisions.
I like Jayne because he has a cool hat.
I think out of all the characters, only Wash is really a 'good' guy (OK, I guess you could probably add Kaylee to that list). Which made me even more cut when he died. Stupid movie...
I don't like the implicit endorsement of whoring either.
Good analysis
NO JOKE!!! When Wash died ... i just about walked out of the theater! ergh!!!
but i'm glad i stayed ... watching River ... whoa!
Rodeo - River being a plot device?? I would never have guessed that you were a computer nerd with insightful comments like that! Way to go!
I couldn't get passed Wash being the gay guy in '28Days' to actually liking the character. Oh well. It was certainly devastating when he died in the movie, cause I liked Zoe.
Kaylee was likable I suppose - but also a bit naive - seriously - Simon was not good enough for her IMO.
I think Wash had to die in the movie. He was the only one who didn't have any serious problems. I mean, he and Zoe had spats, but that was about it. Now Zoe has troubles that will develop her character in later movies (fingers crossed).
When Book died, it was sad, but someone has to die in the movie, by killing him off, everyone assumed the rest of the crew was safe - when Wash died (which I wasn't sure actually happened for about 10 minutes), I started to think "wait a sec... he's going to kill everyone off", when the other cast members started dropping like flies in the hallway, I thought he was really, really going to end it.
I think that when Wash died, they had to make sure it was a truly final death, hence his entire torso being drilled through. If it was anything less, we would expect a comeback. He could always appear in flashbacks - expaining how he and Zoe got together etc, but he's gone for the rest of the future.
The only real way to play River from now on will be to have her dealing with the fact that she can't block out emotions etc - if they lose that, then she's useless. She's like Pinocchio, she turned into a real boy (girl) at the end of the movie (I think at the "My turn" line actually).
Now she's a character and will have to learn how to live properly once again.
Thanks Rodeo. Do you think there'll be more movies??
Ruth, I totally agree that Kaylee is too good for Simon. Simon is a wimp with no social skills. He should have died instead of Wash, who was sooo funny.
Kaylee, Mal and Jayne are my favourites. I like Zoe, because she's tough.
-The Borg
Hopefully :)
There's a good chance there will be more movies, the movie just about broke even at the box office, and the people who bought the Firefly box set are almost guaranteed to buy the movie. The firefly box was in the top sellers at Amazon for YEARS.
There might be more comics too (pretty likely in fact, as JW writes comics too).
Simon was a wimp - how not to be a man. Kaylee was pretty nice.
JW said he had a really cool idea to bring Wash back for the 2nd movie.
Which wont happen. The film only grossed $26m at the box office, far, far short of its cost. It needed $80m to ensure a sequel.
Why did it need $80M to make S2? It only cost $40M to make Serenity?
These days it is more the DVD sales than the box office that determine the viability of a sequel.
But... we'll see what happens :)
(I think all the ads for the movie did it a great dis-service, they didn't represent it accurately at all, but then again... how do you represent it accurately?)
Box office stats.
It made $38M at the box office when you include foreign (not US) takings.
So $1M off recouping production costs - which will be (probably already is) covered by DVD sales.
The studio only gets about half the box office after cinema and distribution costs. So $80m = $40m in the studio's hands.
I agree with you on the favourite characters Shiloh, they're mine too. And yes, River is kind of boring. I think it works for the movie though, because it's short enough and the unpredictability is good for plot twists. It's awesome when she goes crazy that first time in the bar and then at the end.
I'm pretty certain there won't be another movie. It didn't do too well at the box office - like those stats show, it didn't even recoup its production cost. And Joss Whedon has pretty much ruled it out.
Which is sad, because I really like the series and the movie. And Shiloh, I agree that River is a hard character to deal with. Her mental and physical capacities seemed to be so changeable from episode to episode - I never really warmed to her.
Jayne = hella awesome. He would be the most fun to play out of all the characters on the show.
Simon = boring beyond all reason. He is such a wuss. Grow some balls!
Wash - I thought that his death was a bit cheap actually. Like they got to the end of the movie, and they've gone 'hmmm, we need a bit more emotional impact here. Let's kill someone!' I think if they wanted the emotional impact, they should have written it better without the cheap death. Glad that Book died though.
And Kaylee was really cute. Just so enthusiastic. Totally reminded me of an internet fangirl actually!
yeah, kaylee is aweosome. I reckon I'd be more inclined to ship for her and Mal than Mal and Inara.
I'm happy to ship for her and Simon, if only because I think she makes Simon more interesting. And I'm cool with Mal and Inara - I like that tension they've got going between their obvious attraction for each other and their mutual distate for the other's occupation. It would have been nice to see Jayne find a love interest - preferably a woman who can beat him in a fight!
I see you're blogging again...
No, I can't give it up either ;)
"River is incapable of giving 'reasons' for her behaviour" -- actually, that doesn't seem to differ from half the people I know...
I dont think there'll be a sequel either. I'd like there to be, but I can't see it happening.
Simon was a wuss wasn't he! With the whole rescuing River thing, they tried to show his courage - but it just didn't seem convincing somehow.
I agree Angus, Kaylee is so cute! She is definetly my favourite.
Book was annoying cos he had ambiguous values. Mysterious but not mysterious enough to be curious about.
I also agree, Wash dying was too much of a cop out. Why kill off one of the best character's for a few heart strings?
I was disappointed with discovering the mystery about the Reevers, I liked not really knowing much about them.
Seth
Post a Comment
<< Home